Pilot Scheme on Training for Foreign Domestic Helpers in Elderly Care
Foreign domestic helpers (FDHs) are playing a major role in caring for the elderly persons in a number of families, the Social Welfare Department (SWD) and Department of Health (DH) therefore implement the pilot training scheme to strengthen the skills of FDHs in taking care of frail elderly persons, so as to enhance their quality of life in the community and support ageing in place for them.
Hired FDHs who are/ will be taking care of elderly persons (participants must have employers’ recommendations/ permission, and the employers concerned are to take out employees' compensation insurance policies as statutorily required.)
- The training mainly covers 8 core modules in elderly care and care skills, and includes 4 elective modules on caring for elderly persons with dementia and stroke.
- Training materials will be available in Chinese, English, Tagalog, Bahasa Indonesia and Thai.
- To encourage FDHs’ participation, we will arrange elder sitting service at the training spot when the training is being conducted (Quota of elder sitting service is limited. Please contact our staff for arrangement at least 3 days before the programme commences.).
- Upon successful completion of the training, FDHs will be awarded a certificate of attendance.
8 Core Modules (total 12 hours) include
- Assisting elderly persons with feeding and taking medicines
- Fall prevention
- First aid
- Food hygiene and healthy meal arrangement for the elderly
- Mental health of elderly persons and detection of warning signs
- Bathing and oral care for the elderly
- Vital signs observation and skills in measuring blood pressure, body temperature and blood sugar
- Assist elderly persons with mild mobility impairment in transferring positions
4 Elective Modules (1-2 hours each) include
- Meal arrangements for elderly persons with dementia
- Communicating with the elderly persons with dementia
- Managing behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia (BPSD)
- Caring for elderly persons with stroke
Inquiries and Comments
For any inquiries and comments, please contact us at 2717-0822 or in person during Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 6:00pm.
For more information, please visit SWD website as below: https://www.swd.gov.hk/en/index/site_pubsvc/page_elderly/sub_psfdh/